History Of “47”
We trace our heritage to P.S. 47 School for the Deaf, which was founded in 1908. The school went through various name changes through the course of its existence, but our entrance still reads “Public School 47” to this day. In 2005, the school split into “47” The American Sign Language and English Lower School, which serves grades PK–8, and with which we share our historic building, and “47” The American Sign Language and English Secondary School, our school, serving grades 9–12. “47” is a general education school serving Deaf and hard of hearing students, children of deaf adults, special education students, and hearing students. Our school environment is a dual-language environment in which we use both English and American Sign Language.